Thursday, March 4, 2010

Since So Many Of You Asked..

What is that red mark on Alivia's forehead? Well, it's Infantile Hemangioma. What is Infantile Hemangioma? Well..

Hemangioma is the most common type of vascular anoma
ly (birthmark). It is a benign tumor of the cells, called endothelial cells, that normally line the blood vessels. In hemangiomas, the endothelial cells multiply at an abnormally rapid rate.
Infantile hemangiomas have a fairly predictable pattern of growth. Most appear during the first weeks of life and grow rapidly (called the proliferative phase) for 6 to 12 months. Then they begin a much slower process of shrinking, or regressing (called the involuting phase), which may take from one to about seven years. Finally, the tumor enters its final, shrunken state (called the involuted phase), after which it will never regrow. Tumor regression is complete in 50% of children by age 5 and in 70% of children by age 7. By the time a child reaches 10 to 12 years of age, involution of the tumor is always complete. Some residual fatty tissue or thin skin may remain after involution.

To find out more about it, you can click here.

2 Lovely Comments:

Anonymous said...

I had one of these when I was a kid my mom used to tell me that i was kissed by an angel..I love your new blog layout. and I am so glad that your enjoying your time with alivia. I hope your all doing well!

The Mrs. said...

I am pretty sure my brother had one to, but Im not 100% positive. Oh well!
Thanks, Rana!