Thursday, July 8, 2010

{ 6 Months Ago.. }

Here it is!
The post I've been harassed to post, time and time again.

On January 6th 2010, my husband and I went to my last scheduled prenatal appointment.
With 2 days to go until my due date, I was really hoping that I was at least 2-3cm dilated, however when my doctor checked I was only 1cm.
At the end of my check-up, he asked if I was all ready for the baby, I said "Of course!" and mentioned how excited & impatient we were getting to see & hold her for the first time.
He then asked if we had plans the following day, I said no and that it would be the best day for her to come.
He asked why, and I explained that the 7th of January was my great-grandfathers birthday.
He had passed away in October of 2008, but was always hoping he would be around for the birth of his great-great-grandchild.
What better way to honour him then to be born on his birthday?
My doctor then told me to be in a 7am the following day so that I could be induced, and maybe get my wish!

That day my husband and I ran around like fools trying to get all the little things done around the house, Found a babysitter for our (then) puppy & informed our family & friends to be prepared for "the" call!
I also decided to spoil myself one last time, so I got my hair done.

I went to bed that night fully knowing I wouldn't sleep a wink.
I was okay with that.
4:30 am came and my alarm went off.
We showered, got ready, packed the bags, brought the dog to the sitters, put the car seat into the car then anxiously drove to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital just before 7 and registered right away.
We waited until 8 for my doctor to come in. He checked to see if I was dilated, but I was still just 1cm. He went forward with the induction - and I must say, it was not the least bit pleasant!
When my doctor was finished he said
"Make sure she gets an epidural!"
..Thanks!
What?!
IT HURT

They monitored me for 2 hours and made me walk up and down the halls for 45 minutes before they let me go home until things progressed further.

We were home by 11am.
Since I hadn't slept the previous night, I was exhausted so decided that my time was best spent napping.
Around 12:30 my contractions woke me up.
I noticed that they were 5 minutes apart & that really excited me.
By 1pm I was timing them at 3 minutes & could barely stand through them.
It was then that I called the hospital, and they told me to come in right away.
By the time we left the house they were 1 minute apart.

On the drive to the hospital, all I could think about was holding my baby girl.
I kept repeating "we are having a baby.. we are having a baby", to which Jon replied, "I know.. I know.."
Secretly, in my head the entire time I was praying.
Praying that everything would go smoothly, and that our little angel would be healthy.
I also couldn't help but think that this was nothing like I pictured when I thought about going into labor! I expected rushing, panic, screaming, and utter chaos!
However, despite the painful contractions, everything was fine, peaceful and quiet.
I even ate in the car on the way there!

We got back to the hospital around 2pm.
I was sent back to the same room to be monitored.
My doctor came in at 2:30, checked me, and confirmed that I was 3cm dilated.
Yay!
Then out of nowhere I felt the most intence pain I had ever felt in my life - I was literally screaming & crying my eyes out! Then I felt I wet gush, and realized that the doctor had broke my water.
Then he said in his funny accent "Congratulations! You're in labor!"
gee, thanks!
I was then told to undress, put on a hospital gown, and led down the hall into my private birthing room.

Around 4pm the doctor came in to give me my epidural, when I was 4.5 cm dilated.
I was literally more scared of that then the actual labor at that point. The nurses were great though, and despite what I had heard, my husband was allowed to stay and hold me while it was getting done.
In all honesty, I didn't even feel the epidural!
It was such a relief when the doctor said she was done, and I hadn't felt a thing - thanks to the medication that was put in my IV, of course!
From that point on it was a waiting game.

As my contractions worsened, I waited in anticipation for the nurse to tell me I could finally start pushing.
No such luck!

I was in a pretty good mood and my pain was quite moderate, thanks to the medication. I managed to fall asleep in between nurse/doctor visits. It was nothing like I pictured labor, I guess that makes me lucky! Everything was calm & at ease. I even asked my nurse to dim the lights while I rested. Time went by pretty quickly for me, my husband says the exact opposite.

Around 9pm (I think), I became very nauseous, and threw up my lunch. I was in transition and suddenly felt that urge to push. I told my nurse this, but she told me I wasn't anywhere near ready.
Wrong.
About an hour went by and that urge didn't go away. Finally she decided to check but was very reluctant. She looked at me and with a surprised look on her face and said "10 centimeters!".
I knew it!!
She called in a couple extra nurses and explained that I was only to push when I felt a contraction, and that the harder I pushed, the faster I would have my little girl.

All of the nurses were wonderful! I am still amazed at how many nurses came into my room to watch. In my right mind I probably would have not been to pleased about it, but like I said, my epidural was REALLY good!
One of the nurses must have been a cheerleader in highschool. She was calling out all sorts of things! Jonathan thought it was a little annoying, I however enjoyed her excitement because the more excited she got, the closer I knew I was to holding my baby.

Throughout all of this, after each push, I would lay my head back, and open my mouth so Jon could drop a piece of ice in while I drifted to dreamland, but not before asking what time it was. I wanted so badly for her to be born on the 7th, but midnight was fast approaching.

I Iiterally fell asleep between each push. While I drifted off I would catch bits and pieces of what everyone was talking about. At one point, it dawned on my that Jonathan must have been exhausted, so I jolted up and asked if he was okay, he gave me a weird look and said
"yeah, I'm fine.."
at this point a little blonde nurse said "Wow, she is in labor and asking if HE is okay?!" I kind of laughed at the one, myself.
At one point that same nurse was talking about how my doctor delivered both her kids, and that each time she could see everything in the reflection of his thick glasses. I couldn't relate, because he was no where to be found!

Finally it was time for the final push, I kept asking what time it was, but everyone was avoiding my question.
My nurse was preparing me for the final push when I noticed the little blonde nurse with a needle in her hand, and was trying to hide it.
If you know me at all, you'd know that saying I was terrified of needles would be an understatement.
I immediately demanded to know what it was for, the poor girl looked scared, and had no idea how to answer, then my nurse said it would help make my last contraction more intence so I would only need one push.
I felt the contraction coming, and started to push, however, I was so concerned with what was going on to my left with that needle, that I didn't even feel the final push..
Needless to say I was a little surprised when I heard the wonderful sound of my baby girl crying.
Loud, beautiful crying.
She was here.
Safe, and mine.

If your a mother you know what a relief it is to hear that precious scream.

I will never forget that beautiful cry.

As soon as she started screaming my doctor finally made his way into my room, literally missing her birth by 30 seconds.
I had wanted them to give her to Jonathan first, and have him give her to me so I could hold her for the first time, but I honestly cannot remember if it happened that way.
I do know that he cut the umbelical cord though.

Holding her for the first time was indescribable. I instantly felt an amazing sense of joy, pride, and happiness. She was perfect. 10 itty bitty fingers, 10 little toes, the cutest little nose, and the face of an angel. Skin softer then silk, and eyes blue like a midnight sky, with a head full of beautiful hair.
Perfection; wrapped in a tiny little blanket.
And she was all mine.

Time of birth: 12:20am.
20 minutes late.
That's okay, great grampa was always at least 20 minutes late.
Little A does however share a birthday with her uncle William, AND Elvis..

When they took Little A to weigh and measure her, it was time to deliver the afterbirth. At least my doctor didn't miss that, right? Wrong. The nurse was right about the reflection in his glasses! Yuck! He then placed a towel on my belly, and put the afterbirth ON me! I would have been completely mortified if the warmth hadn't felt so good on my belly..

A few days later, we took our little princess home, and we've been showering her with love and kisses ever since!!

I still can't believe that was all 6 months ago..

4 Lovely Comments:

Amanda C. said...

what a beautiful birth story!!!

Mrs. Doc Handsome said...

I love your birth story. It's absoulutely beautiful!!! Happy 6 months to your little girl!

Lindsey and Co said...

Good story! It makes me think I should post the birth stories of our daughters!

Anonymous said...

That first cry is an amazing feeling! That is a sweet story. And she's beautiful!

I left something for you on my blog :)
http://confessionsofasailorswife.blogspot.com/2010/07/cherries.html