If your thinking "Oh no, is this another Facebook rant?!", you are most certainly right!
Let's not kid ourselves, Facebook is a great socializing network, kind of addictive, and is a great way to keep in touch with pretty much anyone or everyone. Facebook is great!
My biggest pet peeve when it comes to facebook? Some people take it WAY to seriously, and others are way to friend happy. It is really necessary to send a friend request to your dentist, the person you spoke to on the bus for 5 minutes, your realtor, and the person that commented on your best friends cousins picture?! Really? Face it, your neighbors dog walker probably doesn't care that you woke up late, had oatmeal for breakfast, and have a chiropracter appointment next week. Fact of the matter is, she probably only accepted your friend request because she didn't want to hurt your feelings when in reality, a few weeks down the road, she will probably get annoyed with your constant status updates that she really couldn't care any less about, and she will remove you from her friends list, only to have you notice your friend count go down and then send her another stupid friend request.
Get my point?
I just don't understand why some people get so incredibly offended or annoyed when you a) don't accept their request, or b) remove then from your friends list. Is it really the end of the world if the person who served you coffee at Tim Hortons says "I'm sorry, but my profile is only for close friends & family"?
Every once in a while, I am guilty of spamming everyones feed with 4688543 status updates (not really, but it has happened on occasion, BUT for good cause! - at least that's what I tell myself), or wondering why my friend count got lower; there is absolutely no denying that! But when is enough, enough?
Some people just take facebook way to seriously. Does hitting the "romove friend" button on someones profile really mean destroying all connections or relationships with that person? Does it actually mean that you are anti-social & stuck up? Not a chance, it's JUST facebook for crying out loud! If you don't speak to someone, why should they even care about what you did at work today? If I spoke with someone one time regarding something we have in common that doesn't mean I want them to have access to a lot of my personal information, or information regarding my family. I've had a few situations were people have actually gotten angry, defensive and surprisingly extremely rude when I've politely explained my reasons for removing them, or ignoring a friend request.
If someone doesn't want to allow to view all of the personal details they share on facebook, you should probably act like an adult and deal with it, because last time I checked, being rude & stomping your feet probably not only gets you removed or declined - but gets you on someones block list! Are you getting my point?
At the end of the day, facebook is still just words and pictures on your monitor. The people that you should be more concerned about are the people that will still be there for you once facebook isn't.
Rant End!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod Touch
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Oh Facebook..
With Love, The Mrs. at 11:47 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 Lovely Comments:
I agree 100% and have been working on a facebook post rant. Every now and then I go through and "clean up" my so called friends. People who treated me like shit in high school send me a friend request only to be able to snoop at my pictures...ridiculous! I also don't accept friend request from blogger friends either. I keep all of our names private for a reason. I keep my personal life separate from all that drama. What else I REALLY hate...is finding out about important things on facebook. Like a birth of child (thats family!!) or even a death. How effed up is that?????
I agree to a certain extent. My policy for my friends is that if I see them in public and we don't talk or acknowledge eachother, then we shouldn't be friends.
As far as other people go, it depends. Some people will delete eachother just to be jerks and piss that other person off. One of my uncles just deleted everyone in my family just to be an ass recently, and yeah, we were all really angry about it. I think in that case we had a right to be. It wasn't some random stranger.
I agree. I'm almost to the point of deleting my facebook. It's dumb. I don't need to know people's business and I certainly do not want some people knowing mine.
I just started following you.
Post a Comment