Saturday, October 31, 2009

As Christians, Should We Take Part In Halloween Activities?

As a kid I always loved Halloween, it was always one of my favorite times of the year. The fall air, going to pumpkin patches, carving the pumpkins we chose, and of course dressing up for free candy! How could it get any better then that?
Now that I am older, and am a follower of God, I see that there is much more then what meets the eye. How can something that involves so much fear and gore be so much fun? Last night when I was laying in bed I was thinking about this, and did a bit of research on it. I was completely shocked to find out how this Halloween tradition came to be, and why it even exists. I wont post all the things I found; I'll let you do the searching on your own if you choose. However I will share this *link* - Please note, that the only reason I shared this link was because it was the most informative. I do NOT agree with the authors remarks telling people to not partake in Halloween. I don't believe in telling people what the can't and shouldn't do, so please disregard that part of the link.

I can't see celebrating such a day, as serving the Lord. Children dressing up and knocking on their neighbors doors for sweets seems so harmless, so it really frustrates me that something that seems so innocent can mean so much more to Satan. Even carving pumpkins takes part in it, and how harmless can carving a vegetable be?

I think as Christians, we need to know when and where to draw the line when it comes to Halloween. I don't think there is a right and wrong in what is decided. I have yet to fully decide how exactly I feel about it, let alone to decide where I want to stand.
Some Christians don't participate at all, some partake in the pumpkin carving, & dressing up for trick or treating, and others don't seem to mind and enjoy every part of it.

This year we did buy candy, and made little baggies to pass out. Its the first time in years since we've been able to so, I was pretty excited about this. I have decided that since it's here, I will pass them out, but next year I won't go completely out of my way. I hate the thought of not passing out candy because then all your neighbors think your unfriendly. Its hard to know what to do.
At least I have a few years before the baby asks if she can go trick or treating, because I haven't made my mind up about that either. Maybe I wouldn't mind so much, if people cut down on the blood and gore aspect of it. Do children really need to exposed to that?

I guess this was more of a rant then anything, and its been on my mind all night and all day. I guess as Christians and (soon-to-be) parents, the best thing is to make decisions that work for us. Whatever those are...



5 Lovely Comments:

Anonymous said...

i think that it just depends on how your raised more than anything. My parents are like THEE MOST STRICT when it comes to Christianity. Like my dad wouldnt let me go to dances or anything due to him thinking it was of the devil and what not. BUT they always dressed us up for Halloween, and gave out candy. NOW if Halloween was a day where they knew we were gonna be witch hunting and all the evil things they would not have let us take part. You just dont teach your kids that stuff. EVENTUALLY they will find out how halloween came to be, but i say let them enjoy the kid part of it.. then again i see your point tho. Same as Christmas tho.. are you gonna let them believe in santa or no? Its hard.. but i dont see any harm. They will be disappointed, but you just have to teach them the Christian part of things and they will understand that Christmas is the day Jesus was born and that it should be about him, and as they get older they will see how much more important things are then when they were kids.

Sophia said...

I agree with what the 'anonymous' person said about it is up to you to decide what to teach your kid about halloween and what not to teach them.

However, I don't think you can liken it to a santa/Christmas analogy. Letting your child believe in santa (for whatever few years it may last) isn't similar to the dark, evil things that are celebrated/sought by Pagan- Wiccans on halloween.

here's a link to another blog written by a former witch that may help....
http://carolkornacki.blogspot.com/2007/08/truth-about-halloween.html

The Mrs. said...

Point well made Sophie. I too agree that you cannot comparing something so Holy to something so dark, just seems wrong.

However, thank you for you opinion 'anonymous'.

Anonymous said...

lol oh i was totally not trying to compare christmas *something holy* to halloween.. i wasnt trying to do that at all!! lol I was just trying to say that Santa isnt a Christianity thing.. u know what i mean? and Some Christians think that it is wrong to let their kids think their is a Santa Claus, as Christmas is about our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christs birth.. not about Santa, BUT i personally dont have a problem with kids believing in Santa, its fun. Eventually they will learn.. Whatever you teach your kids is usually what they will follow. If you teach them that the way you celebrate Halloween isnt evil they will think nothing of it when they are older. However, they will hear how halloween first became and whatnot, you still teach them that halloween isnt evil for the people that dont believe it to be... if that makes sence.. im kinda babbling on here lol

Amanda C. said...

don't forget, Christmas was originally a pagan holiday and many Christmas traditions are pagan as well. the only reason we celebrate December 25th as Jesus' birthday is because early Christians didn't want the day to be pagan so they "replaced" the holiday with Jesus' birthday, even though they kept many of the same traditions.
Don't get me wrong, I definitely see your point of view on Halloween. As a Christian myself I just try to think of what the holiday means to me and how I choose to celebrate it, it's all about what's in your heart! :)