Friday, January 1, 2010

Facebook Rant!

Oh the controversy I may start with this one.. However, I can't help it!
For starters, let me say that I love Facebook! I think its a great social networking tool, that allows you to communicate with all of your friends & family very easily. I also think its really great that you can upload and share pictures too, so that you don't have to send out 467900 emails to people!
So you're probably wondering why I am writing about it, if I love it so much. Well, just because I love it, doesn't mean I love the way people use it. I think people have become way to obsessed with knowing everyone else's business! When I post things on my Facebook profile, they are things that I don't mind sharing with the people on my friends list. Some things are obviously just to personal to share with everyone, so why bother?
I recently went through and cleaned out my friends list because I realized that I really didn't need 270+ "friends" seeing everything I do or write. I deleted over 100 people, and that makes me feel better about sharing certain information.
When I did this this, I realized that people are so into wanting to know who is doing what, that some people (several to be more accurate!) actually noticed their friend count go down, and then messaged me to ask why I "de-friended" them! Really? I would like to clearly point out that someone removing somebody from their Facebook friend list, a) does not cut you out of their life & b) doesn't mean they have anything against you!
When did Facebook become the ONLY social tool? What happened to actually meeting up face to face with someone, what about phone calls? Emails have even become a thing of the past! Does anyone even use MSN anymore?
I guess my point is that I can't see why people are so friend obsessed. If you delete anyone they literally take it as a slap to the face. If you really care about the friendship, then find other ways then Facebook!

2 Lovely Comments:

Samantha said...

I totally know what you mean! I admit, I've been guilty of wondering why someone has deleted me off facebook, but I don't think I've ever confronted them. However, I don't think I could tell you how many friends I have because I never look. The only time I'll notice if someone isn't there is if someone else says they something on their facebook and then I realize I haven't seen it.
The thing I like about facebook is that you can keep in touch with people you don't usually keep in touch with. Like old friends from high school that you don't really see anymore but still want to keep in touch. It's funny though, because now that I think about it - the people who are closest to me, my husband, my best friends and so on..I never go on their facebook or leave messages on their wall...so really, what's the point in the long run?
I know what you mean and my BIGGEST pet peave, are people who update their status every five minutes, like they believe they are so important that everyone needs to know everything!
So, yes, I concur with your blog entry haha. That's my rant!

The Mrs. said...

Thanks for the opinion Sam! Now I know I can delete you without getting heck for it!! Haha, JK!

I agree with your comment about not visiting the profiles of people who you are closest with! I think its just all very funny! =)