Monday, December 12, 2011

Spoiled?

Lately, I've had people look at me and see a "spoiled" housewife. They see a woman of 23 years young, with so many blessings, so how can she not be spoiled?

I am a housewife who is extremely lucky to be able to stay home with my darling daughter everyday.
I am happily married to my high school sweetheart.
I have what I like to think is a lovely home, with more than what we need, and nice furnishings.
I own and operate my own business from home.
You're right, I never go "with-out" when I need something.
and Yes, I am happy.

You may call that spoiled, but that I call that being raised right, mature, & hardworking. This lifestyle was not handed to me; I worked hard for what I have.

Growing up, my mother did her hardest to provide, and give me everything I needed - if you're a single mother I am sure you can understand how hard this must have been for her with 2 children at a very young age. I didn't grow up with designer clothes, but mom made sure I was taken care of, and happy with what I had. I was raised with a strong work ethic, manners, and an appreciation for the things I had.

I got my first job when I was 13. A family friend friend hired me to clean apartment buildings that he was managing. I was responsible for cleaning hallways from top to bottom on each floor in 3 different buildings, and cleaning vacant apartments. I don't know if you remember being 13 or not, but most 13 year olds I knew, still collected an allowance.
By 14 I was babysitting regularly for families, and by 15, I was working at least 30 hours a week, going to school full time, and helping with the rent.
At 17 I made the decision to move to Ontario, and "start" my life there. I started school, and immediately got a job in retail.
By 18 I was married to my wonderful husband, and working in retail management. By the age of 22 I was a mother, and running my own business with a baby on my hip. Let's not even throw the Military into that mix.

Don't get me wrong; I see myself as extremely blessed for all of the wonderful things in my life, and I thank God each and every day for every tiny blessing that has ever come my way; but next time you think about calling someone "spoiled" you should know the whole story. Never judge a book by it's cover.

0 Lovely Comments: